Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Salt Lake City

So I'm back out in Utah for work, but this time I flew in a day early to check out some of the sites in Salt Lake City. Obviously Temple Square is one of the biggest sights in Salt Lake City.

They have a pretty massive statue immortalizing Brigham Young, Adam Smith's successor as Leader of the LDS (Mormon) Church.The LDS church has a pretty impressive spread around Temple Square. Here is the waterfall at the front of the Convention Center.Inside the square there are a ton of really cool buildings. In this picture you can see the Temple, which is closed to visitors.The following pictures are of the Assembly Hall in Temple Square.
The stone and mortar on the Assembly Hall was pretty cool. In most brick buildings they smooth the mortar down, but here they went the extra mile and exposed it.Brigham Young is a pretty popular guy. He also has a park named in his honor.This is the Head Quarters of the LDS Church. I love the long, tall lines running up the entire building.As I was leaving the Square I saw this awesome old house.Here is a view of the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island from I-80. Yes, the white stuff is salt.As you drive west from Salt Lake you travel through a number of mountain ranges and valleys.
The mountains are definitely more exciting than the valleys.I really love the wide open spaces and views out west.

No comments: